Pages

Powered by Blogger.

Turkish style in Gumbet

Turkey is one of my favourite places in the world. There’s something special in the air, in the general vibe of the place, and it never shows sign of wavering. I recently visited the seaside resort of Gumbet, combined with a night’s stay at one of the Heathrow hotels, and my holiday was more than one to remember. 

Gumbet
Gumbet  - Source - Flickrcom/photos/nickcloke

Flights heading to Gumbet will land in nearby Bodrum, which in itself is worth a visit, with its impressive castle and museums, not to mention the large and colourful bazaar! Once you’re in resort, Gumbet offers everything a sunshine holiday should. Situated on the Turkish south coast, with the sparking Aegean Sea lapping at its shore, Gumbet is well placed to get out and about, especially into the beautiful surrounding countryside, with traditional villages not too far away.

There are many excursions heading out into the countryside, as well as the more usual excursions, such as jeep safaris and boat-trips. I’d recommend finding a street vendor for excursions and haggling your trips as much as possible. If you book more than one trip, or if there’s a big group of you, you’ll often save mucho Lira. 

The beach is the main selling point of Gumbet, with its sweeping sands and shallow waters. As this is the only beach in resort, be prepared for crowds in high season, but get there early enough and you’ll be guaranteed a good spot. Getting around resort is easy, with the handy dolmus running the main streets. This is a mini bus that is cheap and frequent, simply hold your arm out to stop it, and shout when you want to get off. You’ll find this is a very cheap way to get around, and saves on taxis during the day. 

The dolmus does stop running around midnight, so after that, be sure to set your price prior to getting into a taxi, otherwise you may find yourself going on a scenic route. Nightlife in Gumbet is bright and varied, and there are many clubs and bars to meet your needs. However, if you fancy chilling out, there are many quieter restaurants for just that, usually situated a little further back from the beach-front. One suggestion I always make, no matter where in Turkey you go, is to head to a traditional Turkish restaurant and try some authentic cuisine. 

These restaurants are much cheaper than the usual tourist-targeted restaurants, and you’ll find you get much more for your money. I often come away from a Turkish restaurant unable to stand up straight, due to eating far too much! Turkish food is delicious, and lamb is fresh and tasty. Kunefe is one to be tried – a sweet dish, one I can never resist! If this doesn’t sound like it’s your idea of culinary heaven however, you certainly won’t go hungry, with many British and international restaurants around. 

Two weeks in the Turkish sunshine will leave you wanting more, it always does for me, and I always make sure my holiday starts in the most relaxed way possible. I now rarely travel without pre-booking my airport extras, such as Gatwick parking, as I find driving myself to the airport, in my own time, means less stress for me, and saved pennies too! Most large airports offer a service, including north of the capital, with Birmingham Airport parking offering great value for money too. Turkey is the perfect backdrop for a summer break; don’t just take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

2 comments

  1. I would title Fine Dining Hanover PA as the king of the hotels!! Perfect location for any age! Awesome services! And the greeting we received believe me folks, it have been an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaa, it’s nice conversation on the subject of this post at this place, I actually have read all that, therefore at this time me additionally commenting at this place.

    ReplyDelete

 

Popular Posts